Caroline Sturdy Colls
Search for other papers by Caroline Sturdy Colls in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
and
Kevin Simon Colls
Search for other papers by Kevin Simon Colls in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
Products of forced and slave labour
Abstract only
Log-in for full text

Two of the four main camps, Borkum and Helgoland, are examined in this chapter. The influx of labourers sent to Alderney during the occupation led to the need for accommodation to house them. When the British military arrived on Alderney in May 1945, they documented the presence of four main camps that the Germans had built for this purpose. Borkum, Helgoland, Sylt and Norderney – all named after German Frisian Islands – were constructed at the four corners of the island. These camps were erected near to major construction projects that commenced in mid–late 1942 and were governed by the OT (although Sylt and Norderney were later taken over by the SS). Borkum existed in the south-east corner of the island near Longy Bay and what would become several strategic strongpoints, while Helgoland was set back from a major coastal defence point in the north-west of the island near two major forts at which the labourers worked.

  • Collapse
  • Expand

All of MUP's digital content including Open Access books and journals is now available on manchesterhive.

 

'Adolf Island'

The Nazi occupation of Alderney

Metrics

All Time Past Year Past 30 Days
Abstract Views 318 165 20
Full Text Views 24 20 0
PDF Downloads 19 15 0