Stained Glass
in Manchester Cathedral
Abstract only
Log-in for full text

Manchester Cathedral’s internal fittings include an important and growing collection of modern stained glass, all of it dating from the 1960s onwards. This chapter sets the scene for the collection, describing each of the windows containing stained glass and considering future opportunities. It is to Antony Hollaway (1928– 2000) that the credit belongs for the chief glory of Manchester’s stained glass: a suite of five windows at the west end of the Cathedral that were installed in the period 1972 to 1995. The scheme across the west wall windows includes three that mark the triple dedication of the former collegiate church in 1421 to saints George, Mary, and Denys, and these three are flanked to south and north by two further depictions, of the Creation and of Revelation. There are recognizable forms and symbols within complex designs that reward constant return, coupled with exquisite control of many hundreds of pieces of glass.

Manchester Cathedral

A history of the Collegiate Church and Cathedral, 1421 to the present

Editor: Jeremy Gregory

Metrics

All Time Past Year Past 30 Days
Abstract Views 56 56 4
Full Text Views 0 0 0
PDF Downloads 0 0 0